COMMUNION & LIBERATION
THE STORY STARTS TO UNFOLD.
Pope Francis has a close tie to a movement called Comunione e Liberazione, or Communion and Liberation (CL).
For the Fr. Z Analysis (RE: NCR) click here!
CL grew out of the educational and catechetical methods of Don Luigi Giussani, who founded the movement. Giussani developed these methods through his work within the Catholic youth association Gioventù Studentesca (GS, literally "Student Youth")
CL describes its purpose as "the education to Christian maturity of its adherents and collaboration in the mission of the Church in all the spheres of contemporary life."
THE TWO MAIN IDEAS:
1. “That Christ is the saving event in human history, and that religious authority is a fundamental element of the human condition.
2. “Members place religion at the centre of a new worldview and in their evangelistic efforts at transforming the relationship between modern society and religion.”
IT AIMS TO COMMUNICATE:
1. The awareness that Christ is the one true response to the deepest needs of people in every moment of history.
2. CL says that it requires only that Christ be recognized as immediately present [As stated by the great saints].
3. The person who encounters and welcomes the presence of Christ undergoes a conversion that affects not only the individual but also the surrounding environment.
POPE JOHN PAUL II WAS OPENLY SUPPORTIVE OF CL
In 1984 he encouraged the movement to develop a worldwide presence, and in a letter to Giussani of
February 22, 2004
wrote that CL
"has chosen and chooses to indicate not a road, but the road . . . The road, as you have affirmed so many times, is Christ
HOW DOES THIS RELATE TO POPE
Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI is said to view CL very favourably.
The then Cardinal Ratzinger, a long time friend of Don Giussani, personally celebrated the funeral Mass of Don Giussani.
reporter John Allen, during this time Cardinal Ratzinger told a priest of CL that
"changed my life"